Book Review of "Get Out Of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior" by Mark Goulston, M.D. and Philip Goldberg

 My Personal Book Review of: "Get Out Of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior" by Mark Goulston, M.D. and Philip Goldberg



This tittle caught my eye on Amazon.com and reading through the Table of Contents, I had to order it. I started reading the book soon as I got it out the mail. I read it a month straight and was so convicted about the self-defeating behaviors in my own life.

I will read this book again and again for reference and strength.

The book is about self-defeating behavior and how to defeat them.
The book has 40 chapters of self-defeating behaviors

  1. Chasing After Love and Approval from a Parent
  2. Getting Involved With the Wrong People
  3. Procrastinating
  4. Expecting Others to Understand How You Feel
  5. Waiting Until It's Too Late
  6. Getting So Angry You Make Things Worse
  7. Saying Yes When You Want To Say NO
  8. Holding A Grudge
  9. Assuming They Don't Want Anything In Return
  10. Playing It Safe
  11. Always Having To Be Right
  12. Focusing On What Your Partner Is Doing Wrong 
  13. Putting Up With Broken Promises
  14. Trying To Make Up While You're Still Angry
  15. Not Learning From Your Mistakes
  16. Trying To Change Others
  17. Rebelling For The Sake of Rebelling
  18. Talking When Nobody's Listening
  19. Pretending You're Fine When You're Not
  20. Becoming Obsessive or Compulsive
  21. Taking Things Too Personally

 and there's so much more that I'm sure you can relate to, but I want to keep this review short.

Here are some self-defeating behaviors I recognized myself were Chapters 10, 16, 19, 29 and 37.

Chapter 29: Assuming The Right Way Is The Hard Way, made me think about how I listened to many people about what I should do as a career. I spent many years trying different things, writing through all of those years. Family members told me to get a job and that writing was useless. I thought the Hard Way (working jobs I had no passion for and only to survive) was the right way and writing (which brought me joy and creativity) was a waste of time. I was so wrong!

Chapter 37: Not Getting Out When The Getting Is Good, spoke to me in many ways. Relationships and jobs were the main two areas. That I had a choice to be stuck or move on from those situations.

I like how at the end of each chapter there are questions and advice you can use going forward. 

This book is packed with so much. This book review only does the book a little praise.

If you haven't got a copy, get it, and expect to highlight it, crease pages, whatever you do to your books to reference a point you've learned or need to re-apply.


If you want to buy the book, you can click HERE


Thanks for reading my review,
donovin


Stay tuned for more book reviews coming soon

  

 Another books you might be interested in by Mark Goulston, M.D. and Philip Goldberg:

The 6 Secrets of a Lasting Relationship: How to Fall in Love Again--and Stay There
By Dr. Mark Goulston and Philip Goldberg
  

By Dr. Mark Goulston

The Intuitive Edge: Understanding Intuition and Applying it in Everyday Life
By Philip Goldberg

By Philip Goldberg



Read my mind about other things on my Thoughts Blog: https://thoughtsbydonovin.blogspot.com/

Do you like eBooks? You can browse through a variety of books in my digital stores:
Reasonable
Check Out other Book Reviews of books I have read:
 
👕 Into T - shirts and mugs? Browse my Designs store at: donovin_4_designs 

💻 Interested in starting a Home Business? SIDE HUSTLE

 

 

 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review of "NO MATTER WHAT!: 9 STEPS TO LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE" by Lisa Nichols

Book Review of: SOAR: Build Your Vision from the Ground Up by TD Jakes

Book Review of "Soul Shaping" by Jeff Brown